Tuesday, 13 March 2012

Black-Eyed Peas

Hoppin John Salad
Since watching Forks over Knifes I've been looking at having a more plant based diet, or plant strong as Rip calls it. Although the film calls for a completely low-fat vegan diet I'm not completely comfortable with that and more in favor of making positive improvements to your diet.

Rice & Peas
We already eat split red lentils, chickpeas and black beans but want to explore some other pulses and D recommended trying black-eyed peas which are used in a lot of traditional West Indian dishes the most common being Rice & Peas. I found it very difficult to find a simple recipe for this as many add other things or use kidney beans but I think this is the simplest and most authentic out there.

Rice with Black-Eyed Peas
I also found on Wholefoods a nice looking salad Hoppin John Salad with Spicy Sriracha Vinaigrette and a stir-fry Rice with Black-Eyed Peas with mushrooms, onion, pepper and sunflower seeds.