Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Satisfying Soups

Waking up this morning to the trees wailing in the wind I knew that it is now Autumn and theres nothing better then a nice hot bowl of satisfying soup when the wind and rain is tapping on your windows and all of these take 30 minutes or under...

Mexican Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
This Mexican Chicken & Wild Rice Soup looks like a really great alternative to the traditional chicken soup with green pepper, sweetcorn, coriander, black beans, chipolte paste and instant wild rice for connivance.

Indian Spiced Tomato Soup
That soup uses black beans which I love but this Indian Spiced Tomato Soup uses dried red lentils making it a very flavoursome lentil soup with tinned tomatoes, chilli flakes and garam masala.

Courgette, Potato & Cheddar Soup
I've recently been buying big bags of courgettes and this Courgette, Potato & Cheddar Soup looks perfect to make the most of their lovely flavour.

Mushroom Soup
I've been searching for a mushroom soup recipe as its one of favourites. I found one called 'real' mushroom soup by Jamie Oliver's but gasped at its request for wild mushrooms and truffle oil, I'm sure its excellent but I was taught that 'real' cooking is about making something superb with ordinary ingredients, and so settled on this simple Mushroom Soup by James Tanner which asks for only leeks, mushrooms, butter, thyme and stock.

What's in your pot?





4 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

Soups are an autumn/winter staple for us. I prefer thick soups eg scotch broth, potato and garlic, middle eastern chickpea etc. I'm not such a fan of thin soups, but I love French onion. All this talk of soup...I think we'll have some for lunch!
Jane x
PS Do people usually have truffle oil on hand?!

Mrs Bent said...

mmm... middle eastern chickpea soup sounds divine... I suppose the wife of a rich chef might hehe!

Jane and Chris said...

I'll get the recipe to you.
Jane x

Gill - That British Woman said...

carrot soup is one of my favourites, and the recipe I use is from a Mark's and Spencer's cookbook, that is no longer published. Recipe is here: http://thatbritishwoman.blogspot.com/2008/05/carrot-soup.html

Gill in Canada