Friday, 9 September 2011

Crab Apple Jelly

Crab Apples
I've noticed for a crab apple tree in full bloom on a patch of green at the end of our road and for weeks fruit has been dropping and rotting on the ground beneath it. As the tress is not on private land and no-one else seems to want its fruit then I shall try and make some Crab Apple Jelly.

Crab Apple Jelly
4kg Crab Apples
1kg Caster Sugar
1 Lemon, juiced
6x 500ml Jars

1. Wash the apples, place in a saucepan and just cover the apples with water
2. Bring to boil and simmer untill the fruit is soft (apx 30 minutes)
3. Pour the pulp into a Jelly Bag or layers of muslim cloth over, place over the pan and allow pulp drip overnight
4. The next day measure the juice and add sugar, 10 parts juice to 7 parts sugar, add the lemon juice and bring to the boil while stirring the sugar until it dissolves
5. Keep a rolling boil for 40 minutes skimming the froth off of the top as it forms
6. When the jelly is set it will solidify against the back of a spoon, you can then pour the mixture into sterilised jars

I've marmalade before and I'm hoping this will be as successful and a potential Christmas present as I know its just the sort of thing that my parents would love.

Are you making any preserves this Autumn?


9 comments:

Angela said...

I did crab apple jelly a few weeks back - do check out my post, especially the comments section about other uses for crab apples!
blessings x

Mrs Bent said...

i must have missed that one thank you so much for directing me to your post x

Jane and Chris said...

Already made lots of apple jam, and I have mint sauce left over from last year. We only make things with what we find, I won't buy fruits etc especially.
Jane x

Mrs Bent said...

Mint sauce sounds like a good idea, I should try some as my Dad has lots growing in his garden at the moment x

magsmcc said...

THIS POST has saved my sanity and one of the two buckets sitting in my kitchen right now!

Gill - That British Woman said...

I still have to do crab apple jelly. Did it last year, but found it was a little sweet for me.

Gill in Canada

Mrs Bent said...

Hi Magsmcc I'm so glad that the recipe is useful and I hope yours comes out nice

Mrs Bent said...

Hi Gill, thats useful info I wonder if you could get away with using less sugar or more lemon to counteract the sweetness

Aurora said...

We are going to make crab apple jelly this week - the trees at the end of our street are laden every year and this time I am determined to do something with them!

Thank you for dropping by my blog. I have just realised we are namesakes!