I've noticed for a crab apple tree in full bloom on a patch of green at the end of our road and for weeks fruit has been dropping and rotting on the ground beneath it. As the tress is not on private land and no-one else seems to want its fruit then I shall try and make some Crab Apple Jelly.
Crab Apple Jelly
4kg Crab Apples
1kg Caster Sugar
1 Lemon, juiced
6x 500ml Jars
1. Wash the apples, place in a saucepan and just cover the apples with water
2. Bring to boil and simmer untill the fruit is soft (apx 30 minutes)
3. Pour the pulp into a Jelly Bag or layers of muslim cloth over, place over the pan and allow pulp drip overnight
4. The next day measure the juice and add sugar, 10 parts juice to 7 parts sugar, add the lemon juice and bring to the boil while stirring the sugar until it dissolves
5. Keep a rolling boil for 40 minutes skimming the froth off of the top as it forms
6. When the jelly is set it will solidify against the back of a spoon, you can then pour the mixture into sterilised jars
I've marmalade before and I'm hoping this will be as successful and a potential Christmas present as I know its just the sort of thing that my parents would love.
Are you making any preserves this Autumn?