Wednesday, 7 September 2011

Batch Baking

Fluffy Apple Muffins

When I bake I always replace half of the flour with wholegrain, replace butter with a low-fat 'buttery' spread and reduce the sugar to a third. This is both frugal and much healthier then shop-bought but unfortunately everytime I go throw a phase of baking I find myself grumpily baking at 9:00pm every other night as D can get a little too enthusiastic about eating them.

Recently I've been inspired by Frugal Queen and One Life and 3 Kids who batch bake, freeze and then defrost portions. This weekend I'm going to try batch baking lots of goodies and fill the freezer which I shamefully underuse.

The first lot I think I'll make will be some muffins, my recipe being an adaptation of Fluffy Apple Muffins which I can vouch are very fluffy indeed...

Basic Healthy Muffin Recipe
75g low fat 'buttery' spread
35g dark musvado sugar
112g wholemeal flour
112g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 large pot of natural yoghurt
1 tsp mixed spice
100g or a mix of diced fresh fruit eg. apple, pear, banana, grated courgette or carrot, frozen berries or dried fruit.

Mix all of the ingredients in a food processor, decant into a cake or muffin tray and bake at 180c for 25 minutes.

Banana Breakfast Loaf

I will of course have to make some Banana Breakfast Loaf which I posted along with my adapted version in Your Favourite Recipe

Dan Lepard's Wholemeal Loaf

But I also want to tackle something that I really should have tried by now but haven't... a nice wholemeal loaf. After a lot of research into non-machine recipes I have chosen this one by Dan Lepard from his article how to bake wholemeal bread as it promises a really fluffy loaf with very little kneading thanks to longer rising time.

Dan Lepard's Wholemeal Loaf
400g strong wholemeal flour
50g strong white flour
2 tsp easy blend yeast
Half a 500mg vitamin C tablet, crushed
2 tsp salt
3 tsp brown sugar
400ml warm water
50g melted butter
1. Tip the flours, yeast, vitamin powder, salt and sugar into a bowl and mix well. Add 300ml water, and stir in well, then pour in the butter and work in well. You should have a soft, sticky dough: if not, add a little more water. Cover and leave for 10 minutes.
2. Tip out on to a lightly oiled work surface and knead for 10 seconds, then put back in the bowl and cover. Repeat twice more at intervals of 10 minutes, then leave the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
3. Flatten the dough into a rough rectangle about the length of your baking tin, then roll up tightly, and put into a greased tin, with the join facing downwards. Cover and leave to rest in a warm place until it has doubled in height (at least 1½ hours).
4. Pre-heat the oven to 220C. Bake the bread for 20 minutes, then turn the temperature down to 200C and cook for a further 15–20 minutes, until the crust is a deep brown, and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Turn out on to a cooling rack.




7 comments:

Angela said...

My daughter met Dan Lepard at a 'bread' event in London. She is very impressed by his stuff.

My problem is that I enjoy baking- but currently we are both supposed to be losing weight.

Perhaps by alfterm I shall feel able to enjoy breadmaking again...

Mrs Bent said...

mmm a bread event sound like my kind of party :)

sue15cat said...

Yummy!!

I found you through Angela and the Thrifty Thursdy challenge....what a lovely Blog you have, I'll be back!!

Sue xx

Gill - That British Woman said...

those look so yummy. Now that it is getting cooler here, I will be hunting out the breadmaker a bit more.

Like Angela I am supposed to be losing weight.........never have though as I love baking as well!!

Thanks for changing your settings now I can comment on your blog.

Gill in Canada

Mrs Bent said...

Hi Sue,
Thank you for visiting and I'm so please that you like it, please feel welcome to drop by anytime x

Mrs Bent said...

Hi Gill,
Thank you for visiting again and I'm glad that you've been able to comment and I will be looking out for any baking on your blog x

David Whitehouse, Business Manager for Dan Lepard said...

I'm sorry to point this out but it has just come to my attention that the Wholemeal Bread recipe and photo you show above has been copied from The Guardian, specifically http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jun/10/how-to-bake-wholemeal-bread

This is copyright material and I must ask you to remove it from your blog. It's really great if you like a Dan Lepard recipe but you need to give a link to where it was published, rather than reprint it.